Best Hikes For Kids Near Denver Colorado
If you have a young family like us, it can be challenging to find great hiking trails for both you and your kids. You need hiking trails that are easy, not too long, but offer opportunities for your kids to play and explore the beauty of Colorado. If you are taking a vacation to Colorado and looking for activities to do with your kids, this set of trails will be perfect.
As I put this set of trail profiles together, I used the following criteria.
- They would be hikes that even young children (3-5) could enjoy. Our girls are 3 and 5, so this is based on first hand experience taking our kids hiking in Colorado.
- These hiking trails have variety: castle ruins, streams, rocks, and some shade when you need it.
- These family hikes would be closer to Denver. Time in the car can wear everyone out (sometimes more than the hike), so we’ve tried to keep these close.
Explore all of these Colorado hikes for kids below. Before you do, I want to draw special attention to our four favorite family hikes near Denver.
Our Top Four Hikes With Kids Near Denver Colorado
1. Bear Creek Trail at Lair O’ the Bear – This is probably our favorite family hike near Denver because of the variety. It has open and shady areas along the trail, great picnic areas, and Bear Creek. Just keep an eye out for mountain bikes flying by on the wider trails.
2. Evergreen Lake – This is just a fun place for your kids to play and explore. There are places to fish and boat rentals as well. Bring a picnic and make a day of it in Evergreen.
3. Lookout Mountain Hiking Trails – The nature center is awesome at lookout mountain. If you want to see wildlife but need to stay close to Denver, then this is the best trail.
4. The Castle Ruins at Mt. Falcon – How cool are castle ruins! This one also works if you are taking a stroller. There is also a fire tower at Mt. Falcon that gives you incredible views of Colorado.