*Notice: The north trail of this loop is currently closes, so making the hike a loop is not possible at this time.
|Hike Distance||1.3 mile Round Trip|
|Duration||Approx 45 min Round Trip|
|Dogs||Allowed On Leash|
|Hike Trail Map||Click for a Trail Map|
|Denver Drive Time||40 min|
|Driving Directions to Evergreen Lake Trail||Click for Google Map|
|Town Nearest Hike||Evergreen, Colorado|
|Beauty||Lake, sunsets, wetlands, wildlife: elk & migratory birds|
|Activities||Picnic area, hiking trails, boating, fishing, ice skating|
|Handicap Accessible||Portions of this Trail are Handicap Accessible|
From the Evergreen Lake house, the trail winds along a boardwalk, through a wetlands area, then towards town. If you are going this way (clockwise) around the lake, be sure to take the high path when you come to where the trail splits. The lower path is more of a fishing trail that soon becomes difficult to navigate. You can take the high path into town or over the dam and to the backside of the lake.
Along the back side of Evergreen Lake stands the old Warming House and Nature Center, operated by the Evergreen Audubon Society. Be sure to check their site for their seasonal hours. At the boathouse, the Evergreen Park & Recreation District operates boat rental and concessions. Their hours are seasonal as well. You can visit Evergreen Parks & Rec. boating page for rental info and hours. In the Winter, the lake transforms into an ice skating wonderland that rivals New York’s Rockefeller Square. Skate rental and admission fees can be found on the Hockey and Skating page on the Evergreen Parks District Site.
Tips & Resources for Hiking Evergreen Lake Trail :
- TIP: Like we mentioned above, take the high path along the road when walking clockwise around the lake.
- TIP: Make it a day. There are several hikes near Evergreen to enjoy. As well, the lake is very accessible from town, so you can walk in, enjoy lunch or coffee, then hike back out.
- TIP: Listen for Elk in the Fall: On our most recent trip to Evergreen Lake, a bull elk was bugling. So, if you just don’t have time to make it up to Estes Park, this is a great backup.
- Trail Map for Evergreen Lake Trail: Trail Map Link
- Colorado Road Conditions: Colorado Road Conditions
- After the Hike: Beau Jo’s Pizza
Map & Driving Directions
Click for Driving Directions