|Hike Distance||5 miles Round Trip|
|Difficulty||Moderate to Difficult|
|Duration||Approx 2.5+ hrs|
|Trail Type||Out and Back|
|Dogs||Allowed On Leash|
|Hike Trail Map||Click for a Map of Chimney Gulch Trail Map|
|Denver Drive Time||25 min|
|Driving Directions to Chimney Gulch Trailhead||Click for Google Map|
|Town Nearest Hike||Golden, Colorado|
|Beauty||Rocky Mountain vista at top, views of Golden & Denver|
|Activities||Hiking, mountain biking, trail running|
The Hike: Chimney Gulch Trail
Steep – that’s probably the best adjective for this hike. The trail is very accessible from Denver – on average, just a 25 minute drive. The trail begins at the base of Lookout Mountain in Golden and weaves it’s way to the top, crossing the road twice, to a wonderful mountain vista. It’s a perfect place, complete with benches, for viewing sunsets. However, a hike down in the twilight may be pretty difficult to negotiate. The Chimney Gulch Trail joins up with both the Beaver Brook Trail, and Lookout Mountain Trail. See the link to the trail map above for details.
Tips & Resources for Hiking the Chimney Gulch Trail
- TIP: Because the trail can be narrow and has a lot of mountain bike traffic, we suggest leaving the dog at home.
- TIP: If you want to start at the top, you can park at the Windy Saddle Trailhead along Lookout Mountain Road. Click for Google map and driving directions.
- Adjust Expectations: If you are hoping for a quiet, solitary hike, this is probably not the best choice. Because this trail is very accessible and challenging, there is a lot of hiking, running, and biking traffic.
- For a great detailed trail description: , check out Deb Stanley’s Chimney Gulch Trail profile.
- Trail Map for Chimney Gulch Trail: Trail Map Link
- Packing List: Always pack the 10 Essentials. Download our Hiking Guide to get the list and dayhiking packing checklist.
- Colorado Road Conditions: Colorado Road Conditions
- After the Hike: Cafe 13
Map & Driving Directions
Click for Driving Directions