Trail Snapshot: Chimney Gulch Trail at Windy Saddle Park
- Hike Distance: 5 Miles (RT)
- Denver Drive Time: 25
- Difficulty: Medium to Difficult
- Duration: 2.5+ hrs
- Activities: Mountain Biking, Hiking, Trail Running
- Dogs: Allowed on Leash
- Directions: Click for Google Map
- Trail Type: Out & Back
- Seasons: All Season
- Beauty: Rocky Mountain vista at top, Views of Golden & Denver
- Trail Map Link: Click Here for Windy Saddle Trail Map
- Town Nearest Hike: Golden, Colorado
Steep – that’s probably the best adjective for this hike. The trail is very accessible from Denver – on average, just a 25 minute drive. The trail begins at the base of Lookout Mountain in Golden and weaves it’s way to the top, crossing the road twice, to a wonderful mountain vista. It’s a perfect place, complete with benches, for viewing sunsets. However, a hike down in the twilight may be pretty difficult to negotiate. The Chimney Gulch Trail joins up with both the Beaver Brook Trail, and Lookout Mountain Trail. See the link to the trail map above for details.
- Because the trail can be narrow and has a lot of mountain bike traffic, we suggest leaving the dog at home.
- If you want to start at the top, you can park at the Windy Saddle Trailhead along Lookout Mountain Road. Click for google map and driving directions.
- For a great detailed trail description, check out Deb Stanley’s Chimney Gulch Trail profile.
- Adjust Expectations – If you are hoping for a quiet, solitary hike, this is probably not the best choice. Because this trail is very accessible and challenging, there is a lot of hiking, running, and biking traffic.