|Hike Distance||0.4 mile Round Trip|
|Difficulty||Easy to Moderate|
|Duration||Approx 30 min|
|Trail Type||Out and Back|
|Elevation Gain||Approx +230′|
|Dogs||Allowed On Leash|
|Denver Drive Time||5.5 hr|
|Driving Directions to Silver Falls, Pagosa Springs||Click for Google Map|
|Town Nearest Hike||Pagosa Springs, Colorado|
Directions & Trailhead Information for Silver Falls
The parking area for Silver Falls is located about 19 miles from Pagosa Springs along Forest Road 667. Because FR667 is a dirt road, expect washboard and wash areas. The road crosses multiple creeks, and in the late Spring, when the snowmelt is flowing, many of these creeks rise and cover the road. Because of this, it’s a good idea to make the drive to the Silver Falls trailhead in a vehicle with higher clearance, such as a truck or SUV. The small parking area is located about 8 miles up 667 on the left-hand side of the road. You’ll find an old guard station marking the spot.
The Hike to Silver Falls
The hike up to Silver Falls is short and sweet. It’s approximately 1/8th of a mile from the trailhead to the waterfall. The trail starts out easy, then becomes increasingly steep before the emerging from the woods to the spectacular site of Silver Falls. The waterfall plunges first from the orange cliffs above the trail, then tumbles down in a series of dazzling cascades.
Tips & Resources for Hiking Silver Falls, Pagosa Springs, CO
- Visit on a Weekday: This stretch of road is a popular spot for campers and fisherman because of its proximity to the San Juan River. Go on a weekday if you would like to experience solitude and only the sounds of tumbling water.
- Parking: Parking is limited in the small lot. Hikers can also park alongside the road; just be courteous to other drivers and be sure to park in such a way that you don’t to get stuck.
- Packing List: Though it’s a short hike, you always want to pack the 10 Essentials. Download our Hiking Guide to get list and hiking gear checklist.
- Colorado Road Conditions: Colorado Road Conditions
- Photo: We would like to express our gratitude to Steve Schmickle of Explore the Light Photography for sharing such an amazing photograph of this hike to Silver Falls. I love landscape photography, and Steve’s work is my absolute favorite. Check out his gallery and available prints.
- After the Hike: Pagosa Baking Company in Pagosa Springs
Map & Driving Directions
Click for Driving Directions