Trail Snapshot: Rattlesnake Gulch Trail at Eldorado Canyon
- Hike Distance: 2.5 to 4 miles approx (RT)
- Denver Drive Time: 45 min
- Difficulty: Moderate
- Duration: 1.5-2.5 hrs
- Activities: Picnic Areas, Horseback Riding, Mountain Biking, Rock Climbing
- Dogs: Allowed on Leash
- Town Nearest Hike: Boulder, Colorado
- Directions: Click for Google Map
- Trail Type: Lollipop w/Spur Option
- Seasons: Spring, Summer, Fall
- Beauty: Canyon, Waterfalls and Cascades, Cliff Swallows, Cliff-Top Views, Geologic Features
- Trail Map Link: Click Here
- Fee:Link to Fees Page
If your legs are ready to gain some quick elevation
to some rewarding views, the Rattlesnake Gulch trail will give you just that. This trail starts at the west trailhead of the Fowler Trail about 1/2 a mile into Eldorado Canyon. The hike first takes you about 1.2 miles to the site of the Crags Hotel. The hotel was built in 1908 and visitors could reach it by taking an incline railroad and by an old wagon trail. In 1912, the hotel burnt to the ground, and just a few ruins remain. The parks department has put up interpretive signs to give you an idea of what the site was like in the early 1900’s.
The picture above is looking northeast towards the Cadillac Rock area. If you take a pair of binoculars, scan the formation for rock-climbers. Eldorado Canyon makes for some great Denver area hiking. It’s one of those places with so many unique features, that you’ll find yourself drawn back there time and time again.
Tips & Resources for Hiking the Rattlesnake Gulch Trail at Eldorado State Park:
- Exact Trail Length: Exact trail lengths are approximate until we can GPS this one. We’ve noticed discrepancies on maps and reports. So, be sure to add some buffer time on to this hike.
- Parking: Parking fills up fast at Eldorado Canyon. So, we suggest you go early in the day, or as the crowds are filtering out of the park in the late afternoon. As well, you’ll find weekdays less crowed. Eldorado Canyon is open from sunrise to sunset year round.
- Directions: Use the driving directions on this page. They will lead you to the nearest parking area to the Rattlesnake Gulch Trailhead.
- Fee: There is an $8 parking fee per car or you can use your Colorado State Parks Annual Pass
- Map: Eldorado Canyon Hiking Trails Map
- Colorado Road Conditions: Colorado Road Conditions
- After the Hike: Boxcar Coffee Roasters in Boulder
Map & Driving Directions
Click for Driving Directions