Trail Snapshot: Meadow & Forest Loop Trails at Lookout Mountain Nature Center
- Hike Distance: .6 & .8 Mile Loops
- Denver Drive Time: 30 Min
- Difficulty: Easy
- Duration: 30 Min
- Activities: Picnic Area, Hiking, Nature Center, Picnic Area, Birdwatching
- Dogs: Not Allowed
- Directions: Click for Google Map
- Trail Type: Loop
- Seasons: Hours Vary
- Beauty: Front Range Views, Ponderosa Pine, Wildlife: Abert’s Squirrels, and Deer.
- Trail Map Link: Click Here
- Town Nearest Hike: Golden, Colorado
Lookout Mountain Nature Center has 2 short loop hikes. If you have young children, this is a perfect trip. The trails at Lookout Mountain are short loops: 1- The Meadow Loop (.8 mile) & 2 – Forest Loop Trail (.6 mile). If you are looking for a longer hike on Lookout Mountain, you can cross the street and take the Lookout Mountain Trail which connects to several other Jefferson County Parks and trails.
The nature center is a great place for your kids to learn about Colorado wildlife. The playroom has texture sames of bark, fur, animal tracks, and the biggest box of stuffed animal puppets you’ll ever see. The last time we visited, our daughter didn’t want to leave. Take a lunch and have a picnic under the towering Ponderosa Pines. We encountered 2 deer with their fawns along the Forest Loop trail. The immediate area around the nature center is handicap accessible.
- If you take Lookout Mountain Road from Golden, it’s a beautiful drive. However, on the weekends, this road has a ton of cycling traffic. So, plan for a slow drive.
- No Dogs Allowed at the Nature Center
- Visit the Boettcher Mansion next door