|Hike Distance||1/2 mile Round Trip (both options)|
|Duration||Approx 30 min Round Trip|
|Trail Type||Out and Back|
|Dogs||Allowed On Leash|
|Denver Drive Time||3 hrs|
|Driving Directions to Fish Creek Falls, Steamboat Springs||Click for Google Map|
|Town Nearest Hike||Steamboat Springs, Colorado|
|Activities||Hiking, great picnic facilities, ice climbing, photography|
|Hours||6AM to 10AM|
|Fee||$5 Day Use Fee – Cash or Check|
Parking & Trailhead Information for Fish Creek Falls
The trailhead for Fish Creek Falls is about three miles outside of the town of Steamboat Springs, Colorado. Stop at the pay station to purchase the day use fee. There are two parking areas: one will be on your left driving in, and the larger lot–which is closer to the trailhead–at the end of the road.
The Hike: Fish Creek Falls
Fish Creek Falls is one of the most accessible waterfalls in Colorado, perfect for families with small children who are not yet able to hike longer distances. It’s also wheelchair accessible via the Fish Creek Falls Overlook Trail. There are three different options detailed below.
Fish Creek Falls Hike: This second option is also a 1/4 mile (one-way) and leads to the bridge at the base of the falls. The trail is gravel and dirt–not paved like the overlook trail. This trail begins at the far east end of the same parking lot.
1 Mile Loop: Both the overlook and the Fish Creek Falls hikes can be combined to form a kind of 1 mile loop by hiking first to the overlook, then returning through the shaded picnic area to the Fish Creek trail below. After hiking to the bridge, return the way you came.
Tips & Resources for Hiking Fish Creek Falls
- Bring a Picnic Lunch: The picnic area at Fish Creek Falls is one of the best in the State of Colorado. It’s extensive and the trees provide a ton of shade.
- Springtime is Best: Fish Creek Falls roars with the late Spring meltwater.
- In Winter: The trails to the falls are open year round. You may need snowshoes when the snow gets thick.
- Explore More: There is another waterfall. A short, but demanding, 2.2 mile (one-way) hike to Upper Fish Creek falls follows the trail beyond the bridge and another 1,100+ feet above the trailhead.
- Packing List: Always pack the 10 Essentials. Download our Hiking Guide to get list and dayhiking packing checklist.
- Colorado Road Conditions: Colorado Road Conditions
- After the Hike: Creekside Cafe in Steamboat Springs
- Photo: We would like to express our gratitude to Greg Hamilton for sharing the photograph of this hike.
Map & Driving Directions
Click for Driving Directions