Trail Snapshot: Castlewood Canyon State Park Trails
- Hike Distance: 1/4 mile to 4 miles
- Difficulty: Easy to Medium
- Duration: Approx 1/2hr to 2.5hrs
- Trail Type: Out & Back & Loop
- Seasons: All
- Dogs: Allowed on Leash in Most Areas, But Not on the East Canyon Trail
- Hike Trail Map: Click for a Map of Castlewood Canyon State Park Trails
- Denver Drive Time: 50 min
- Driving Directions to Castlewood Canyon State Park Trails: Click for Google Map
- Town Nearest Hike: Castle Rock, Colorado
- Beauty: Meadows, creek, waterfall, interesting geology, canyon views, ruins
- Activities: Rock climbing, hiking, picnic areas, visitors center
- Fee Required: Visit Colorado State Parks Site
Some Trails In Castlewood Canyon
1. Waterfall Hike at Castlewood Canyon State Park – This may be the most accessible waterfall near Denver. A short .17 mile hike from the trailhead. Click on the red link above to go to the waterfall hike trail profile page.
2. Cliff & Climbers Trail at Castlewood Canyon State Park – A short but more demanding hike in Castlewood Canyon where you can explore the crags along the cliffs of the park.
3. Homestead Trail at Castlewood Canyon State Park – an easy to medium hike at the west park entrance. Check out the hiking profile to see how to turn this .7 mile trail into a 2 or 4 mile loop hike.
4. Cave Trail at Castlewood Canyon State Park – only a quarter mile round trip up to a small cave in the west side of Castlewood Canyon State park.
5. Canyon View Nature Trail at Castlewood Canyon State Park – 2.4 mile round trip hike with interpretive signs that takes you along the rim of Castlewood Canyon. One of the best handicap accessible trails near Denver.
Tips & Resources for Hiking Castlewood Canyon State Park Trails :
- TIP: Castlewood Canyon offers some shade, but you are often in the sun. So, bring your sunscreen and apply it liberally.
- TIP: We would also suggest an early morning or sunset hike as these are the best times to observe wildlife.
- TIP: Though it’s not the largest of Colorado waterfalls, you’ll still hear it before you see it. The waterfall is accessed from Creek Bottom Trail on the West Side of the park.
- TIP: Pets are allowed on a leash but there are some specific trail restrictions, so make sure to read the signs. Enjoy this wonderful hike in the grasslands of Douglas County, Colorado.
- Trail Map: Castlewood Canyon State Park Trails
- Colorado Road Conditions: Colorado Road Conditions
- After the Hike: Crowfoot Valley Coffee
Map & Driving Directions
Click for Driving Directions