Trail Snapshot: Waterfall Hike at Castlewood Canyon
- Hike Distance: .17+ miles (see trail options below)
- Denver Drive Time: 50min
- Difficulty: Easy to Medium
- Duration: 20min
- Activities: Rock Climbing, Hiking, Picnic Areas, Birdwatching, Wildlife Viewing
- Dogs: Allowed on Leash in Most Areas
- Directions: Click for Google Map
- Trail Type: Out & Back & Loop
- Seasons: All Season
- Beauty: Cherry Creek, Waterfall, Interesting Geology, Canyon Views, Ruins
- Fee Required: Visit Colorado State Parks Site
Tips & Resources for Hiking to the Castlewood Canyon Waterfall :
- Easy to Miss: The West Side entrance can be hard to find. Usually, Colorado state parks have brown signs indicating the park roads. The west side doesn’t. But the name of the road you’re looking for is “Castlewood Canyon” – easy to remember.
- Shortest Access: The shortest way to access the falls is by parking at the Waterfall Parking Lot, then taking the Waterfall Spur to the Creek Bottom Trail. Head South, and you’ll hear the waterfall in just a few moments.
- Exposed: Hikes in Castlewood Canyon can be quite exposed to the sun, so bring the sunscreen
- Poison Ivy: We’ve been surprised how poison ivy flourishes in this park, often along the edge of the trail. Know how to identify it, so that you can avoid it. But don’t let that deter you from the park. You just need to keep an eye out. See our post on how to identify and treat poison ivy.
- Map: Castlewood Canyon Waterfall Trail Map
- Colorado Road Conditions: Colorado Road Conditions
- After the Hike: Crowfoot Valley Coffee
Map & Driving Directions
Click for Driving Directions