Trail Snapshot: Sprague Lake Loop in Rocky Mountain National Park
- Hike Distance: 1/2 mile Round Trip
- Difficulty: Easy
- Duration: Approx 30 min
- Trail Type: Loop
- Starting Elevation: 8690′ at Trailhead
- Elevation Gain: +20′
- Seasons: Spring through Fall, Winter Snowshoeing
- Dogs: Prohibited in RMNP
- Hike Trail Map: Click for a Map of Sprague Lake RMNP
- Denver Drive Time: 2 hr
- Driving Directions to Sprague Lake Trailhead: Click for Google Map
- Town Nearest Hike: Estes Park, Colorado
- Beauty: Sub-alpine lake, mountain views, wildlife: Abert’s squirrel, elk, bear, beavers, waterfowl, moose, ducks, Canadian geese
- Activities: Picnicking, hiking trails, snowshoeing
- Conditions at Bear Lake Trailhead: Click Here
- Fee: Park Pass Required
Sprague Lake is a 13-acre lake named after Abner Sprague, an early resident of the Estes Park area who ran a game lodge on the this property which is now part of Rocky Mountain National Park. To access the 1/2 mile loop hike around Sprague Lake, cross the bridge near the parking area. Be sure to pause at the bridge to look for trout. We’ve spotted an enormous brown trout motoring in these waters near the bridge. It’s a regular spawning area in the autumn, so this little segment of water can become quite crowded with fish.
After the bridge, the trail can be hiked to either the left or the right around the perimeter of Sprague Lake. Keep your eyes peeled for Beaver and Moose, both residents of the area. You will be more likely to spot wildlife in the early morning hours.
In the Fall, this is one of the better spots in Rocky Mountain National Park to view the aspen trees changing on the distant mountains.
Tips & Resources for Hiking to Sprague Lake :
- TIP: Hiking shoes are recommended if you hike during early spring or late winter as you might need to pass through snow on the trail.
- TIP: If you get out early on a spring morning, you might be lucky enough to spot a moose or more.
- Rocky Mountain National Park Trail Conditions: Click for RMNP Trail Conditions
- Trail Map: Sprague Lake in RMNP
- Colorado Road Conditions: Colorado Road Conditions
- After the Hike: Poppy’s Pizza
- Photo: We would like to express our gratitude to Tim Stacks for sharing such a beautiful photograph of this hike at Sprague Lake.
Map & Driving Directions
Click for Driving Directions