Trail Snapshot: Soldier Canyon Falls Trail in Lory State Park
- Hike Distance: 0.2 mile Round Trip
- Difficulty: Easy
- Duration: Less than 1 hr
- Trail Type: Out & Back
- Seasons: Spring to Fall
- Dogs: Allowed On Leash
- Hike Trail Map: Click for a Map of Soldier Canyon Falls Trail in Lory State Park
- Denver Drive Time: 1 hr 30 min
- Driving Directions to Soldier Canyon Falls Trail in Lory State Park: Click for Google Map
- Town Nearest Hike: Fort Collins, Colorado
- Beauty: waterfall, cascades, cottonwood trees
- Fees: Link to Fees Page
- Activities: Hiking, photography, picnic areas, visitor center
Parking & Trailhead Information for Soldier Canyon Falls Hike
Lory State Park is located about 10 miles West of Downtown Fort Collins, Colorado. To get to the Lory State Park follow the US 287 (from either I-25 or from Northern Ft. Collins to Laporte. Continue west and then turn left onto Rist Canyon Road, and another left onto County Road 23. Drive a little further to take a right onto County Road 25G. County Road 25G leads to the entrance of Lory State Park. The trailhead for the waterfall trail is found at the Timber Group Picnic area where there are both restrooms and parking. This is just past the entrance off of Lodgepole road (follow park signage). As always, be sure to check current road conditions and alerts before traveling.
The Hike: Soldier Canyon Falls Hike
Soldier Canyon occupies most of the northern part of Lory State Park and is just a tenth of a mile from the trailhead. Hikers can pick up the Waterfall Trail behind the picnic shelter. The trail to Soldier Canyon Falls enters a riparian zone covered by massive cottonwood trees. It then crosses a total of three bridges that criss-cross over a Soldier Canyon Creek, then climbs a few steps to arrive at the waterfall’s pool. There is also a quaint cascade viewable from the second bridge. Because this is a seasonal drainage, the best time to view the waterfall is in the Spring and early Summer when the meltwater is flowing.
Tips & Resources for Hiking Soldier Canyon Falls Hike
- TIP: There is a visitor’s center near the Lory State Park entrance.
- TIP: At the summit of Arthur’s Rock, there is a beautiful view of Horsetooth Reservoir and the Front Range available. Check out our trail profile for Athur’s Rock at Lory State Park.
- Trail Map: Soldier Canyon Falls Trail in Lory State Park
- Packing List: Always pack the 10 Essentials. Download our Hiking Guide to get the list and dayhiking packing checklist.
- Colorado Road Conditions: Colorado Road Conditions
- Photo: We would like to express our gratitude to Jamie Simo for sharing such an amazing photograph of this hike to Soldier Canyon Falls.
- After the Hike: The Colorado Room
Map & Driving Directions
Click for Driving Directions