Trail Snapshot: Nymph Lake in Rocky Mountain National Park
- Hike Distance: 1 mile Round Trip
- Difficulty: Easy
- Duration: Approx 40 min Round Trip
- Trail Type: Out and Back
- Starting Elevation: 9475′ at Trailhead
- Elevation Gain: +225′
- Seasons: Spring through Fall, Winter Snowshoeing
- Dogs: Prohibited in RMNP
- Hike Trail Map: Click for a Map of Nymph Lake RMNP
- Denver Drive Time: 2 hr
- Driving Directions to Bear Lake Trailhead: Click for Google Map
- Town Nearest Hike: Estes Park, Colorado
- Beauty: Sub-alpine lakes, mountain views, wildlife: Abert’s squirrel, ducks, bear
- Activities: Picnicking, hiking trails, snowshoeing
- Conditions at Bear Lake Trailhead: Click Here
- Fee: Park Pass Required
Parking & Trailhead Information
The trail up to Nymph Lake begins at the Bear Lake Trailhead (driving directions).In the event that parking lot at Bear Lake is full, you’ll then need to park at the Park & Ride near the Bierstadt Trailhead and take the bus into the trailhead. This service runs 7am to 7PM and more information on the RMNP shuttle bus routes can be found at this link. The trail to Nymph Lake is located on your way to Bear Lake, off to the left, just before reaching the shore viewing area of Bear Lake.
The hike up to Nymph Lake is one of the least demanding–but still rewarding–destinations in Rocky Mountain National Park. Most hikers make Nymph Lake a stopping point on their journey on the longer, 3.6 mile round-trip hike to Emerald Lake. However, Nymph Lake is not without its attractions. In the summer, after the snow and ice have melted, the yellow pond lily fills the lake and bursts with yellow blooms. In the Winter, Nymph Lake, being a smaller body of water (less than 1/5th the size of Dream Lake), freezes over, and Park Rangers will lead snowshoers across it’s frozen waters.
List and Links of Destinations From Bear Lake to Emerald Lake
Tips & Resources for Hiking to Nymph Lake :
- Explore More: Beyond Nymph lake, you’ll find Dream lake (+.6 mile) and Emerald Lake (+.6 mile from Dream Lake).
- Trail Map: Nymph Lake in RMNP
- Conditions at Bear Lake: Click to View Current Conditions
- Colorado Road Conditions: Colorado Road Conditions
- Photo: We would like to express our gratitude to Pete Sheffield for sharing such an amazing photograph of this hike.
- After the Hike: Poppy’s Pizza
Map & Driving Directions
Click for Driving Directions