North Clear Creek Falls is a 100+ foot waterfall carved into the landscape of southwestern Colorado. This is not so much a hike as a great place to pull off for a picnic and take in views of what become the most famous waterfall in the Rocky Mountain State. Explore the full North Clear Creek Falls profile below for driving directions, and all the details you need to experience this scenic landmark in the far reaches of Colorado.
Trail Snapshot: North Clear Creek Falls Near Lake City, Colorado
- Hike Distance: .1 mile Round Trip
- Difficulty: Easy
- Duration: Approx 5 min
- Trail Type: Pull-off Observation Area
- Starting Elevation: 10,000′
- Elevation Gain: +0′
- Seasons: June to September
- Dogs: Allowed On Leash
- Denver Drive Time: 5 Hours
- Driving Directions to North Clear Creek Falls: Click for Google Map
- Town Nearest Hike: Lake City, Colorado
- Beauty: Waterfall Observation area
- Activities: picnic facilities, photography
Its hard to believe that what may be the most beautiful waterfall in Colorado requires no hike to see. The North Clear Creek Falls observation area is accessible via a short drive off of Forest Road 510, part of the Silver Thread Scenic Byway. The USFS does not plow this section during the winter, so it may be inaccessible until Spring. Because of the vertical drop into Willow Canyon, the observation area has been fenced. The area has new toilet and picnic facilities, and is considered handicap accessible.
Tips & Resources for North Clear Creek Falls
- TIP: Because North Clear Creek Falls faces east, some of the best time for photography will be in the early morning moments as the sun is rising.
- TIP: Bring a picnic lunch. The observation area near the falls has new picnic facilities.
- Packing List: Always pack the 10 Essentials. Download our Hiking Guide to get list and dayhiking packing checklist.
- Colorado Road Conditions: Colorado Road Conditions
- After the Hike: Tommyknocker Tavern in Creede
- Photo: We would like to express our gratitude to Scott Ingram for sharing such an amazing photograph of this hike.
Map & Driving Directions
Click for Driving Directions