The Davis Ponds loop is a short and easy hike, perfect for young families. Davis Ponds is a great place to take your kids fishing near Denver. Explore the full trail profile below for all the details: hiking trails, trail map, and detailed directions to the trailhead.
Trail Snapshot: Davis Ponds Loop at Staunton State Park
- Hike Distance: 2.15 Mile Loop
- Difficulty: Easy
- Duration: Approx 1hr
- Trail Type: Loop
- Starting Elevation: Approx. 8200′
- Elevation Gain: +80′
- Seasons: All Year
- Dogs: Allowed On Leash
- Hike Trail Map: Click for a Map of Staunton State Park
- Denver Drive Time: 45 min
- Driving Directions to Staunton State Park: Click for Google Map
- Town Nearest Hike: Conifer, Colorado
- Beauty: Meadows, Pine Forest, Ponds, Hummingbirds, and Deer
- Activities: Hiking, Fishing
- Fee: Entrance Fee or State Parks Pass Required
Before the ponds, there is a cut-through trail that can be used to shorten the hike by approximately 1/2 mile, but it’s worth going all the way to Davis Ponds and to gain views to the west. The Davis Ponds were under construction and improvements while we were there, but they have now been finished and stocked with rainbow and cutthroat trout. If you are looking for a weekend destination near Denver to fish with your children, this may be one of the best.
On the way back, the trail will merge again with the cut-through trail. The trail back to the trailhead bears left and slightly uphill.
Tips & Resources for Hiking the Davis Ponds Loop :
- TIP: Getting into the park can be slow at times, so be prepared to wait at the entrance on busy weekends.
- Wildlife: You’ll find that deer are out grazing in the early morning and closer to twilight.
- Winter: During the Winter, park hours are 8am – 7pm.
- Trail Map: Trail Map for Staunton State Park, Colorado
- Packing List: Always pack the 10 Essentials. Download our Hiking Guide to get list and dayhiking packing checklist.
- Colorado Road Conditions: Colorado Road Conditions
- After the Hike: Crow Hill Cafe in Bailey
Map & Driving Directions
Click for Driving Directions