Trail Snapshot: High Line Canal Hike – County Line to Fly’n B Park
- Hike Distance: 3.7 miles Round Trip
- Difficulty: Easy
- Duration: Approx 2hr Round Trip
- Trail Type: Out & Back
- Seasons: All Year
- Dogs: Allowed On Leash
- Hike Trail Map: Click for a Map of High Line Canal Hike – County Line to Fly’n B Park (see A6 to A2)
- Denver Drive Time: 30 min
- Driving Directions to High Line Canal Hike – County Line to Fly’n B Park: Click for Google Map
- Town Nearest Hike: Littleton, Colorado
- Beauty: Giant cottonwood trees, Highline Canal, wetlands, waterfowl, pond at the Fly’n B Park
- Activities: Hiking, cycling, birdwatching, pond, picnic shelter
Water flows in the highland canal about 90 days a year. Because the canal only drops two feet per mile, the water, even when it is flowing fast, appears calm. This is part of what gives this trail such a pastoral feel, even though it is close to 470. Immense Cottonwood trees arch over the path, and all sorts of birds decorate the bushes and wetlands that have grown up wild along its edges.
The trail is great for a stroller hike and for wheelchairs. After about 2 miles of trail, you’ll walk through a tunnel that goes under 470. You’ll then emerge to find yourself at Fly’n B Park. It looks like it is an old ranch that has been converted into a great park near Highlands Ranch. It features a small pond with boat dock, and a fantastic shelter house. The pond looks like a perfect place to take kids fishing in Denver. We haven’t tried it out yet, so we would love your feedback if you have. The Highlands Ranch Metro District Parks is currently (Spring 2014) renovating the home on the property. Outdoor restrooms and some parking is available. However, we recommend parking at the Countyline Road Trailhead for this hike.
Tips & Resources for Hiking High Line Canal Hike – County Line to Fly’n B Park :
- TIP: A detailed guide to of the Highline Canal Trail can be ordered from Denver Water.
- TIP: Take some snacks and extra water. The Highline continues well beyond this section and you’re likely to want to explore more of it.
- TIP: From the Countyline Trailhead, you can also go North towards for views of McLellan Reservoir and the Front Range.
- Trail Map: High Line Canal Hike – County Line to Fly’n B Park
- Colorado Road Conditions: Colorado Road Conditions
- After the Hike: Enchanted Grounds Coffee Shop
- Denver Water Highline Canal Site
Map & Driving Directions
Click for Driving Directions