Trail Snapshot: Fountain Valley Trail at Roxborough State Park
- Hike Distance: 2.3 mile Round Trip
- Difficulty: Easy
- Duration: Approx 1.5hr Round Trip
- Trail Type: Loop
- Seasons: All Year
- Dogs: Not Allowed in Roxborough State Park
- Hike Trail Map: Click for a Map of Fountain Valley Trail at Roxborough State Park
- Denver Drive Time: 45 min
- Driving Directions to Fountain Valley Trail at Roxborough State Park: Click for Google Map
- Town Nearest Hike: Littleton, Colorado
- Beauty: Red rock formations, meadows, wildlife: mule deer, eagles, foxes, birds
- Activities: Hiking, birdwatching, Visitors’ Center
- Fee: Entrance Fee or State Parks Pass Required
The trail is a loop. You can start on the valley floor, then work your way up to the high trail that looks down and across the fountain formation (photo above was taken from around the midpoint of the high trail). On our visit we encountered several whitetail deer and a variety of birds flitting about in the scrub oak that grows in the valley.
There are some ruins of an old estate along the trail and interpretive signs telling about the history of the valley. We would recommend this trail for families with small children and especially for folks visiting Denver and looking for something fun to do. The low elevation is great for out of towners who may not have the time or capacity to get up into the mountains. Dogs are not permitted, so be sure to leave fido at home. Because this trail is in Roxborough State Park, a fee or Colorado state parks pass is required. See the Roxborough State Park Fees page for details.
Tips & Resources for Hiking Fountain Valley Trail at Roxborough State Park :
- TIP: There is a picnic area with tables just outside the Visitors’ Center.
- TIP: Be on the lookout for poison ivy along the sides of the trail. Know how to identify it, so that you can avoid it. But don’t let that deter you from the park. You just need to keep an eye out. See our post on how to identify and treat poison ivy.
- Trail Map: Fountain Valley Trail at Roxborough State Park
- Colorado Road Conditions: Colorado Road Conditions
- After the Hike: Waterton Tavern in Roxborough
- Roxborough State Park Brochure
Map & Driving Directions
Click for Driving Directions