Trail Snapshot: Dream Lake in Rocky Mountain National Park
- Hike Distance: 2.2 mile Round Trip
- Difficulty: Easy
- Duration: Approx 1.5hr Round Trip
- Trail Type: Out-and-Back
- Starting Elevation: 9475′ at Trailhead
- Elevation Gain: +425′
- Seasons: Spring through Fall, Winter Snowshoeing
- Dogs: Prohibited in RMNP
- Hike Trail Map: Click for a Map of Dream Lake in RMNP
- Denver Drive Time: 2 hr
- Driving Directions to Bear Lake Trailhead: Click for Google Map
- Town Nearest Hike: Estes Park, Colorado
- Beauty: Sub-alpine lakes, mountain views, wildlife: Abert’s squirrel, elk, bear
- Activities: Picnicking, hiking trails, photography, snowshoeing
- Conditions at Bear Lake Trailhead: Click Here
- Fee: Park Pass Required
Parking & Trailhead Information for Dream Lake, Colorado
The trail up to Dream Lake begins at the Bear Lake Trailhead (driving directions).In the event that parking lot at Bear Lake is full, you’ll then need to park at the Park & Ride near the Bierstadt Trailhead and take the bus into the trailhead. This service runs 7am to 7PM and more information on the RMNP shuttle bus routes can be found at this link. The trail to Dream Lake is located on your way to Bear Lake, off to the left, just before reaching the shore viewing area of Bear Lake.
Just before reaching Dream Lake, the trail splits. The trail to the left takes hikers to Lake Haiyaha and the trail to the right leads to Dream Lake. Dream Lake, with the beautiful backdrop of Hallet Peak, is one of the most photographed scenes in Rocky Mountain National Park. At daybreak, light from the east illuminates the stone face and crags of Hallet, and Dream Lake returns the favor by mirroring its image in her waters.
List and Links of Destinations From Bear Lake to Emerald Lake
Tips & Resources for Hiking to Dream Lake, Colorado
- Explore More: Adventure beyond Dream Lake is Emerald Lake (+.6 mile from Dream Lake).
- Trail Map: Dream Lake in RMNP
- Colorado Road Conditions: Colorado Road Conditions
- After the Hike: Poppy’s Pizza
- Photo: We would like to express our gratitude to Marco Becerra for sharing such an amazing photograph of this hike to Dream Lake.
Map & Driving Directions
Click for Driving Directions