Trail Snapshot: Diamond Lake Falls Trail
- Hike Distance: 3.4 miles Round Trip
- Difficulty: Moderate
- Duration: Approx 2.5 hrs
- Trail Type: Out & Back
- Starting Elevation: 10150′
- Elevation Gain: Approx +800′
- Seasons: Late Spring through Fall
- Dogs: Allowed On Leash
- Hike Trail Map: Click for a Map of Diamond Lake Falls Trail near Nederland
- Denver Drive Time: 1 hr 30 min
- Driving Directions to 4th of July Trailhead: Click for Google Map
- Town Nearest Hike: Nederland, Colorado
- Beauty: waterfalls, lake, wildflowers, streams, wildlife: moose, deer, squirrel, chipmunk
- Activities: Hiking, snowshoeing, skiing, camping, fishing
Directions & Trailhead Information for 4th of July Trailhead
The Hike: Diamond Lake Falls Trail
Diamond Lake Falls is actually an unnamed waterfall situated in Indian Peaks Wilderness about 1 mile below Diamond Lake where the trail crosses the North Fork of Middle Boulder Creek. Most hikers will include a stop at the falls on their way up to Diamond Lake (2.7 miles one-way). The hike begins at the 4th of July Trailhead on the Arapaho Pass Trail #904. This first segment on the Arapaho Pass trail climbs into Indian Peaks Wilderness and is adorned with wildflowers in the early and mid-Summer.
At 1.2 miles, the trail will come to a junction. The way up to Diamond Lake Falls and Diamond Lake will follow the left-hand trail. The Diamond Lake Trail first heads west along a drainage then descends to Middle Boulder Creek. This segment from the trail junction to the bridge and waterfall is 0.5 mile.
Tips & Resources for Hiking the Diamond Lake Falls Trail
- TIP: Go there early (especially during the weekends) to avoid an overcrowded parking area.
- TIP: Bring bug spray for mosquitoes.
- Trail Map: Diamond Lake Falls Trail
- Packing List: Always pack the 10 Essentials. Download our Hiking Guide to get the list and dayhiking packing checklist.
- Colorado Road Conditions: Colorado Road Conditions
- Photo: We would like to express our gratitude to Brandon Bombaci for sharing such an amazing photograph of this hike on Diamond Lake Falls.
- After the Hike: Happy Trails Cafe
Map & Driving Directions
Click for Driving Directions