Trail Snapshot: Cliff & Climber’s Trails at Castlewood Canyon
- Hike Distance: .32mi (.64mi RT)
- Difficulty: Difficult
- Duration: Approx 30-40min Round Trip
- Trail Type: Out & Back
- Seasons: All
- Dogs: Allowed, But Not on the East Canyon Trail
- Hike Trail Map: Click for a Map of Cliff & Climber’s Trails at Castlewood Canyon
- Denver Drive Time: 1 hr
- Driving Directions to Cliff & Climber’s Trails at Castlewood Canyon: Click for Google Map
- Town Nearest Hike: Castle Rock, Colorado
- Beauty: Cliffs, cave, mature ponderosa pines
- Activities: Rock climbing, hiking, picnic areas, nearby waterfall
- Fee Required: Visit Colorado State Parks Site
Tips & Resources for Hiking Cliff & Climber’s Trails at Castlewood Canyon :
- Finding the Trail: The cave trail can be accessed by hiking across the dirt road from the parking lot. The Google Map is very specific and should be helpful in finding the correct parking area.
- Add the Waterfall: The Waterfall Hike can be added to your trip.
- Finding the Traihead: The West Side entrance can be hard to find. Usually, Colorado state parks have brown signs indicating the park roads. The west side doesn’t. But the name of the road you’re looking for is “Castlewood Canyon” – easy to remember.
- Short but Steep Hike: The hike is easy when you consider the distance, but we rated this one as difficult because the trail can be quite uneven and very steep. Watch your footing.
- Make it a Loop Hike: You can make an even larger loop out of the hike by exiting on either the north or south end of the trail, then crossing the road east to one of the parking areas. From there, take the West Side Spur or the Creek Bottom Trail back to your car. See the Castlewood Canyon Map below for details.
- TIP: Hikes in Castlewood Canyon can be quite exposed to the sun, so bring the sunscreen.
- TIP: Poison Ivy: We’ve been surprised how poison ivy flourishes in this park, often along the edge of the trail. Know how to identify it, so that you can avoid it. But don’t let that deter you from the park. You just need to keep an eye out. See our post on how to identify and treat poison ivy.
- Trail Map for Castlewood Canyon: Trail Map Link
- Additional Maps: Castlewood Canyon State Park Trails
- Colorado Road Conditions: Colorado Road Conditions
- After the Hike: Crowfoot Valley Coffee
Map & Driving Directions
Click for Driving Directions