Trail Snapshot: Cascades Near Berthoud Falls
- Hike Distance: .1 mile
- Denver Drive Time: 1hr
- Difficulty: Easy
- Duration: 5 min
- Activities: Falls Viewing Area
- Dogs: Allowed on Leash
- Directions: Click for Google Map
- Trail Type: Out & Back
- Seasons: Summer & Fall
- Beauty: Cascades and Mountain Views
- Video: Click For Video
- Town Nearest Hike: Berthoud Falls, Colorado
There are some great views looking South to Engelmann Peak and Red Mountain. There is no picnic area, and the ground is soaked in early Summer, but my guess is that you could bring a blanket in late summer and Fall and enjoy a picnic lunch by the falls.
It’s unclear if this falls is where the small settlement of Berthoud Falls got its name. My guess is that this is not Berthoud Falls. Here are my two guesses on the correct location. Click here for the google map pin locations.
1 – Where a creek runs about 1200′ feet down into the settlement of Berthoud Falls. This is not a sheer drop, but it is quite steep terrain. The proximity to the settlement makes this the best choice.
2 – Where Hoop Creek and another creek meet then drop into a very steep ravine. This is a more sheer drop and is located about a mile east of the settlement of Berthoud Falls. Because it’s so far from the town, it’s not likely that this is the namesake However, because of the steep terrain, it may contain a legitimate waterfall, or some amazing cascades.
I’m hoping to explore these more sometime and will plan to update this post when we have more information.
If you know the history of the area or have additional information about the Berthoud Falls Waterfall, I’d appreciate it if you left a comment in the trail reports below.
Tips & Resources for Viewing the Cascades Near Berthoud Falls:
- Be Safe: The pull-off can sneak up with you and there can be a lot of traffic on the weekends. Be alert for cars.
- Picnic Areas: There are some great picnic areas at Jones Pass, bottom of US 40 near the settlement of Berthoud Falls, and along Clear Creek just east of Berthoud Falls.
- Colorado Road Conditions: Colorado Road Conditions
- After the Hike: Rocky Mountain Roastery in Winter Park
Map & Driving Directions
Click for Driving Directions