Castlewood Canyon cuts a unique and green landscape into the plains near Denver. It’s not the mountains, but it’s worth the drive. Castlewood Canyon State Park has created this beautiful paved trail that follows the canyon rim.
Trail Snapshot: Canyon View Nature Trail at Castlewood Canyon
- Hike Distance: 1.2mi (2.4mi RT)
- Difficulty: Easy
- Duration: Approx 1hr or less
- Trail Type: Out & Back
- Seasons: All
- Dogs: Allowed on Leash in Most Areas, But Not on the East Canyon Trail
- Hike Trail Map: Click for a Map of Canyon View Nature Trail at Castlewood Canyon
- Denver Drive Time: 50 min
- Driving Directions to Canyon View Nature Trail at Castlewood Canyon: Click for Google Map
- Town Nearest Hike: Castle Rock, Colorado
- Beauty: Interesting geology, canyon views, interpretive trail, wildflowers, birdwatching
- Activities: Guided audio nature tour, hiking, picnic areas, visitors center
- Fee Required: Visit Colorado State Parks Site
Tips & Resources for Hiking Canyon View Nature Trail at Castlewood Canyon
- TIP: Pick up a brochure so that you can find the various access points for the trail and can take advantage of the side trails.
- Audio Tour: Begin at the visitor’s center where you can pick up an audio tour player which guides you through the 5 different ecosystems that are found in Castlewood Canyon.
- Wildflowers: Late June and Early July are the best times to view the wildflowers in Castlewood Canyon.
- Bring Sunscren: Hikes in Castlewood Canyon can be quite exposed to the sun, so bring the sunscreen.
- TIP: Poison Ivy: We’ve been surprised how poison ivy flourishes in this park, often along the edge of the trail. Know how to identify it, so that you can avoid it. But don’t let that deter you from the park. You just need to keep an eye out. See our post on how to identify and treat poison ivy.
- Trail Map for Castlewood Canyon: Trail Map Link
- Additional Maps: Castlewood Canyon State Park Trails
- Colorado Road Conditions: Colorado Road Conditions
- After the Hike: Crowfoot Valley Coffee
Map & Driving Directions
Click for Driving Directions