B urying my thermos in the snow, I then came back for it 4 hours later. Thinking that my hot chocolate had cooled down a bit, I took a quick swig only to burn my lips. I bought this thing because it was good, but I didn’t realize it was THAT good! Travel mugs are ubiquitous. All of us have bought, used, and borrowed a couple dozen different kinds. Most of them are an utter disappointment.
Here is what I was looking for: something that I could pour coffee in, drive an hour to work, open up and watch the steam come out. I’ll admit that I’m a coffee snob – really, I just like it to be hot and fresh. I remembered one travel mug that stood above them all. I had borrowed a Nissan Travel Tumbler from some friends in Colorado Springs and I didn’t want to give it back because my coffee always tasted fresh, even three or four hours later. I guess Nissan, when they are not making cars, likes to experiment with vacuum thermos technology. Well, they know what they are doing.
Reading a few of the almost 300 positive reviews, you’ll quickly realize that this thing has an unprecedented fan base.
- “It’s a wonderful supplement to commuting, work, backpacking, and Arctic expeditions.”
- This guy figured out his weekly coffee savings: “This product has allowed me to steer clear of coffee shops for about two months – equalling a cost savings of nearly $15/week.” That’s almost $800 a year!
- Shaky Hands Guy-“Yeah, everybody look at me drinking coffee from my fancy coffee travel mug with my shaky hands and still not have it spill on me!” – Incredible!”
- “Stop reading this review and buy the darn thing. “
A Couple Tips:
- Don’t overfill it. This is the only point where the thing leaks.
- Be nice to it. For some reason, thermoses are expected to be bomb-proof. It’s tough, for sure, but the only problems I’ve had from it have come from over-torquing the cap and dropping it on concrete. It’s like a bumblebee: Be nice to it and it will be nice to you.
So, if you’re one of those people who gets out early to bag a summit or get to a high mountain lake, this is a great way to bring your coffee on the trail.
Oh, yeh, and the Amazon Link – Thermos 16-Ounce Stainless Steel Backpack Bottle